Friday 28 October 2011

I'm almost legal!

After almost 3 months of working on my visa process, I'm almost there. This week I had to make two trips into Joburg to the Home Affairs office at 6am to submit my application. The first day we waited in line and once it was finally my turn, they told me that I either had to have R7000 (about $1000) deposit that I will get back when I leave the country, or a letter from Refilwe stating that they will make sure I have the monetary means to leave. Haha, I chose to hand in a letter. The next day, all was well and in 30 days I can go pick the (hopefully) approved application and my volunteer visa! Just in time because my current 90 day visa is almost up. So until I pick it up, they can't kick me out of the country, but I can't leave either. Good deal.

Everything at the school is still going great. I was asked to think about working there full time next year. I'll definitely think about it. The only problem there is lack of time to do anything else, and there's a lot I'd like to do in my time here. We'll see. The kids are such a joy to me. And at lunch I get to enjoy the kind of food I'll only find in Africa. Even some foods that I literally don't know what the heck it consists of. I love it.

Tap is WONDERFUL! The young kids are finally back in gear after a bit of "talking to"... ;) and are earning their shoes. I've made a deal with them that they are not allowed to take their tap shoes home until 1) I see that they're serious about the class, and 2) that they show myself and their classmates respect. They'e doing quite well and learning a lot. I have one little girl, especially, who from what I know struggles a bit with schoolwork and basic motor functions. I think it's something about a memory weakness, something or another... I'm not exactly sure. She is a freakin angel... I love the crap out of her. She is doing incredibly well in class and I've heard it's done TONS to boost her self-confidence. I couldn't be more happy to hear that. When I hear things like that it reminds of how the arts do wonders in a child's life and in their growth. My teenagers totally rock. I think it's settled in as just the 7 students. 4 girls 3 boys. I like! I still need shoes for a couple of them and their giant feet. I've found a dance store that sells new and second-hand taps... I'm heading there sometime next week. After class we turn up the music, play pool, ping pong and have a good time. It's good for the youth to spend time like that. We're having a lot of fun.

Soon, I'll be looking into the SPCA near by where I will try to volunteer about once a week or so with their horses. Caring for them, feeding, grooming, and hopefully riding!!! After I'm done with the school I'll make a trip down there and see what's going on. Very much looking forward to that!!! I will also be looking into doing the world's highest bungee jump located in Cape Town. In good time, of course, and money. But I WILL do it before I leave this country. I can't pass it up.

Other than that... all is well, I'm happy, healthy... all good!

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Awesome granddaughter Gia
    Such relief to always hear your latest chapter
    of your interesting and rewarding life - and your
    health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete